DA councillor Ndlovu murder: Fifth suspect arrested

A fifth suspect in the DA councillor Ndlovu murder is due in the Howick Magistrate's Court, as two co-accused wait for plea proceedings to be finalised.

The DA councillor Ndlovu murder case produced a fifth arrest on Saturday morning, 15 August 2026, when the KwaZulu-Natal Political Killings Task Team detained a 44-year-old man in Mpophomeni.

Nhlalayenza Ndlovu, a Democratic Alliance (DA) councillor in the Umngeni municipality, was gunned down at his home in 2023 in front of his wife and children.

The suspect is expected to appear in the Howick Magistrate’s Court on Monday, 17 August 2026, as reported by Eyewitness News.

Who has been arrested in the DA councillor Ndlovu murder

The Political Killings Task Team (PKTT) was established to investigate assassinations linked to political office in KwaZulu-Natal, where councillors and party officials have been targeted for years.

The unit has now made five arrests in the Ndlovu case, four of them before Saturday.

The unit’s own standing has been contested. Lt-Gen Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi told a briefing on Sunday, 6 July 2025 that the task team had been disbanded to shield the people it was investigating, an allegation that led to the Madlanga commission of inquiry. Arrests have continued since.

The 44-year-old man has been arrested and not charged. He has not entered a plea, no evidence against him has been heard in open court, and police have not released his name.

A first appearance ordinarily deals with the charge sheet, legal representation and whether the state opposes bail.

Chief Simphiwe Zuma has been identified as the alleged mastermind who ordered the killing. He remains in custody, having been refused bail on two occasions.

The allegation has not been tested at trial and he has not been convicted of any offence connected to the murder.

How the DA councillor Ndlovu murder case reached court

Two other accused, described in the case as the hitman and the coordinator, have pleaded guilty. Neither has been named in the material released so far. Their plea proceedings are set to be finalised in the Pietermaritzburg regional court on Friday, 21 August 2026.

A guilty plea does not close a matter on its own. The court must accept the plea, satisfy itself that the accused admits every element of the offence, and then convict and sentence.

Until those steps are completed, neither man stands convicted of the murder.

Police spokesperson Athlenda Mathe set out the position of the investigation after the arrest was confirmed. The task team has not treated the fifth arrest as the end of its work in the case, and further arrests have not been ruled out. Mathe said:

“Investigations into the matter remain ongoing, and police will continue to pursue all outstanding leads to ensure that every person found to have played a role in this murder is brought before the courts.”

What happens next in the Ndlovu murder case

The 44-year-old man is due before the Howick Magistrate’s Court on Monday, 17 August 2026, where the state is expected to put charges to him for the first time.

The Pietermaritzburg regional court finalises the plea proceedings against the other two accused four days later.