Sol Phenduka breaks his silence on Kaya 959 suspension

Sol Phenduka speaks out after his Kaya 959 suspension linked to Minnie Dlamini’s legal action, explaining the reason behind the unexpected move.

sol phenduka Minnie dlamini

Popular radio presenter and podcaster Sol Phenduka has spoken publicly for the first time about his immediate suspension from Kaya 959.

Sol Phenduka reacts to sudden suspension

During a recent episode of Podcast and Chill, Phenduka said he was “surprised” by the station’s announcement because he had been instructed to keep the matter private.

Phenduka explained that his suspension is linked to a legal case filed by South African television presenter Minnie Dlamini. Many people assumed that Phenduka had done something wrong at work, such as being late or acting unprofessionally, but he clarified that this was not the case.

“So this happened this morning, and I was surprised because when I left the meeting, they said, ‘No, don’t say anything’, which I’m very good at—keeping my stuff private,” Phenduka said.

The radio presenter confirmed that the suspension will last seven days.

What Kaya 959 said about the suspension

Kaya 959 shocked listeners on Wednesday by releasing an official statement shortly after Phenduka’s on-air shift. The station said:

“Kaya 959 confirms that presenter Sol Phenduka has been placed on suspension with immediate effect. This step has been taken pending the outcome of an internal process currently underway.”

The station stressed that they are following proper procedures and would not provide further details until the internal process concludes.

Minnie Dlamini’s legal action explained

Minnie Dlamini has launched a R2.5 million legal case in the Equality Court against Sol Phenduka and his co-host MacGyver “MacG” Mukwevho. The lawsuit relates to comments made on Podcast and Chill that Dlamini says were offensive and harmed her dignity.

The Equality Court handles cases about unfair treatment, hate speech, and discrimination. Dlamini’s lawsuit accuses the hosts of hate speech, harassment, and gender-based discrimination.

She has refused to accept the public apology MacG issued in May 2025, insisting that the matter must be handled legally.

The controversy started when MacG speculated on the podcast about why Dlamini’s past relationships may have failed, making inappropriate comments about her personal hygiene.

This sparked public outrage, as South Africa continues to struggle with gender-based violence. Government officials and human rights institutions also criticised the remarks.

What Minnie Dlamini wants from the court

Dlamini is asking for R1 million in damages for the harm to her dignity.

She is also requesting R1.5 million to be donated to a women’s rights organisation. She claims the podcast has repeatedly harassed her, especially after she publicly supported actress Amanda du-Pont in a separate abuse case.

Although MacG offered Dlamini a chance to appear on the podcast to resolve the conflict, she has declined.

The Equality Court will review the case, which could have wider implications for how public figures use digital platforms and the legal consequences of harmful or offensive speech.