The Gauteng Department of Education has confirmed that 13 learners have died in a scholar transport incident in Vanderbijlpark, south of Johannesburg.
In a media statement issued on Monday, the department said:
“The Gauteng Department of Education wishes to confirm that the death toll in the tragic scholar transport incident that occurred on Monday, 19 January 2026, in Vanderbijlpark has risen to 13 learners.”
It added that 12 fatalities had been confirmed earlier in the day, and that “a further learner has since succumbed to injuries, bringing the total number of confirmed deaths to 13.”
Police focus shifts to compliance and whether the vehicle was overloaded
Police say the investigation is now centred on roadworthiness and compliance, including how many passengers the vehicle was carrying.
According to Eyewitness News, police confirmed the scholar transport vehicle was overloaded, carrying 18 people despite being certified for 14.
“If we count the numbers for now, it tells us that the Toyota Quantum was overloaded,” police spokesperson Mavela Masondo said.
EWN reported that the driver survived and was in hospital, and would be questioned once medically cleared.
Families gather as recovery work continues
EWN reported that the area remained cordoned off as investigators documented evidence at the scene, while families gathered nearby.
A witness told the cited publication that she “saw the kids all over the place.”
According to the latest updates, at least four pupils remain in hospital with serious injuries.
The Gauteng Department of Education said investigations are continuing and cautioned that details may still change.
“All information remains preliminary as investigations continue,” the department said in its statement.
Police investigations are expected to examine passenger numbers, operator compliance and decision-making around learner transport safety.
The education department said it will provide updates as more confirmed information becomes available.







